Is your residential construction project delayed, distressed, disturbed or dysfunctional? Is your home renovation project behind schedule with no plan for recovery? Has work on your single-family addition been over certified and is the project over budget? Is your single family residential construction project facing complex legal issues and possible construction liens? Is the project in financial distress and has the timely flow of payments stopped? Are Change Orders, Change Directives and RFIs being issued excessively and the responses to same (or lack thereof) spiraling out of control? If you have answered yes to any of these questions The GeoFocus Group is uniquely experienced in analyzing and recovering delayed, distressed, disturbed and/or dysfunctional construction projects at all stages of the construction lifecycle.
The GeoFocus Group continues to see an influx of enquiries regarding our distressed, delayed, disturbed and dysfunctional residential construction and home renovation/addition project recovery services. From residential renovations that are over certified (over paid) and fraught with deficiencies (construction defects) to single-family residential dwellings with underperforming project teams (lack of supervision) and significant scheduling delays (lack of coordination) we receive calls weekly from homeowners that are simply fed up with the inefficient and expensive construction project/process that they are engulfed in.
Most commonly we hear of the Disappearing Contractor (the contractor who collects deposits or invoices for work not performed, collects their payment and moves on to their next project), the Paper-Free Deal (the contractor who performs work on a “hand-shake” and does not enter into formal home renovation or new-construction contracts), the Pay-Cash Discount (the contractor who tells you that it is in your best interest to pay cash so neither of you have to pay taxes) and the Door-to-Door Salesman (the contractor who was in your area and can provide a deep-discount for an immediate sale). In most instances the Homeowner is left to pick up the pieces and most often in a worse position than before their project began.
If you require assistance recovering your residential construction, home renovation or single-family addition project call us today.
Our distressed construction project recovery services include but are not limited to the following:
- Technical Due Diligence (including condition surveys of your home or residence and residential defects analysis)
- Financial Due Diligence (including an assessment of all work performed to date vs all payments made to date)
- Interrogation of the Construction Process (including review of the contractors site coordination and consultant coordination process)
- Delay Analysis (review of all incidents that contributed to the delay of your home renovation project).
- Critical Path Review (review of critical path schedule that formed part of your residential construction contract)
- Contracts Review (review of the contract between the homeowner and the general contractor)
- Change Order Review (review of all approved change orders that form part of your construction contract)
- Change Directive Review (review of all approved change directives that form part of your renovation contract)
- Application for Payment Review (review of all invoices/draws processed to date including schedule of values review to confirm amounts drawn on each task to be performed)
- Holdback Release Review (review of holdback retained to date)
- Deficiencies Identification Review / Rectification Management (review and coordination of appropriate consultants to identify all deficiencies)
- Recovery Plan Preparation (preparation of a plan to recover your residential renovation or new construction project)
- Provision of Project/Construction Management Services for Recovery (we can assist with staffing your project with expert home renovation project and construction managers to ensure the recovery plan is executed appropriately)
- Provision of Site Supervision Services for Recovery (we can assist with staffing your project with expert site supervisors to ensure the recovery plan is executed appropriately)
- Provision of Owner’s Representation / Project Monitoring for Recovery (we can assist you to work with your existing home renovation contractor to ensure that they adhere to their contractual requirements).
- Expert Witness and Opinion Services
- Payment Certification
- Litigation Support / Claims Management (assist with claims preparation and legal team coordination)
- Coordination of Distressed Construction Project Acquisition (in worst case scenarios we can assist with coordination the sale and or cash acquisition of your property)
- Coordination of Alternative Financial Arrangements to Permit Project Recovery (we can assist with financial arrangements to ensure the availability of funds to complete your project)
For further information on The GeoFocus Group’s Residential Construction Project Recovery capabilities, please contact:
Founder and Strategic Advisor
T. 416.622.0456 X 333
T. 416.622.0456 X 222